Much of this 80-acre prairie has never been plowed. Previous owners over seeded the area with cool season grasses for livestock forage. Nearly 30 years of protection have allowed native plants to begin to reestablish themselves.
Habitat & Features
- 80 acres
- Native prairie/grassy areas
Amenities & Facilities
- Parking lot
- Nature study
Rules & Regulations
- No target shooting allowed
- No motor vehicles allowed on the area
- All applicable Iowa hunting laws and fishing laws apply
- Complete County Conservation rules and regulations – See Sections 5, 6 and 7 for hunting rules
Shield Prairie is owned by the Iowa DNR and managed by the Muscatine County Conservation Board. It was the first area purchased in Iowa with donations through the “Chickadee Check-off” program.
Location & Maps
- From Highway 22 go 2 miles north on Seven Springs Rd.
- Park Map – aerial photo with trails, boundaries, etc
You must be logged in to post a comment.